USA CollegeiUniversity Admission Overview
Educational institutes in USA are choosy about selecting their prospective students. You need to be highly competitive to get enrolled into American institutes. Almost all of them look for students with good grades, adequate financial support (either through scholarships or other merit based financial aid) and a good command over the English Language. You need to complete a 10 + 2 (higher secondary) education to apply for an undergraduate course in the USA.
Graduation is the minimum requirement to apply for post-graduate courses. Those who have done their Master’s degree can proceed for a Doctorate degree afterward.
Proving English Language skills by appearing for standardized tests such as IELTS, ToEFL, etc. are important. Some universities may conduct separate entrances to select their desired candidates. It is also compulsory to complete examinations such as the SAT, GRE or GMAT to fulfill the eligibility criteria.
You have to produce an exceptional statement of purpose (personal essay) to make a good impression for yourself amongst the Board of the university.
- Admission procedures usually begin in autumn. If you are looking for a graduate course, begin your application procedure in the last year of school. It may take 18 months to prepare for admission in USA.
- First, it is required to pass the standardized entrance test and the English Language test, without which you cannot apply for higher studies in USA.
- Next, you need to individually apply to each university. You can do this through air mail, email or directly download the application form from the university website. There are no restrictions on the number of colleges you can send your application to.
- There is an alternative system of admission which comprises of:
- Early Decision Program: This facilitates the application a few months early, usually from the 1st to 15th of November. If selected, you must commit to joining only this university.
- Rolling Admission: This program allows you to apply to an institute anytime between fall and spring.
- Early Action Program: This is similar to the Early Decision Program but here, it is not mandatory that you should join the institute if selected.